Estelle Jan 2007

Estelle Jan 2007
This is the home built by John Nelson

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Outside Before/After

Not completely done with the outside, but have most of the front yard looking better. Last summer was the big job of painting the exterior of the house.
Last fall we added new sidewalk (front entrance and side patio), driveway, and stamped-stone cement patio in the backyard. This spring, we added rain gutters around the entire house and curbing for the flower beds. Most of the plants are perrenials, so they'll come back and bloom on their own year after year. And, we sought out water-wise plants for our hot, dry weather - so we can minimize the impact on natural resources while maintaining a beautiful yard.

Photo taken 2009 - before we ripped out the old shrubs (beautiful, but out of control). The new porch was partly done. Oh, and those shutters that Ed hated so much were still on Estelle.

Initially, Estelle was a pale yellow brick (you can find a couple of old homes from this general era throughout downtown that haven't had their brick painted that shows what a pretty color it was). The sills, keystones and cornerstones on the windows were all grey cement/rock. The bricks inbetween across the top were red. As the old shutter lines (notice the white lines to the side of the two doors) shows, Estelle was first painted white with black trim. Then, it was painted tan with yucky brown plastic shutters mounted into the brick. We looked into sand blasting it back to the original brick - so sad it was painted instead of treated; but the bricks were too soft and would disintegrate in the process. So, we picked a stately grey color. See below.

We tried lots of grey tones before settling on this set. The main body color we ended up settling on is 'summit grey.' The lower window ledges/sills are a darker grey called 'peppercorn'; and the keystones and cornerstones above the windows are a light grey called 'knitting needles.' The burgundy red color for the bricks between are painted in a color called 'arresting auburn.' We painted the front door the dark red to tie in. The hardi-board and hardi-planks on the addition were painted with this same pallet (except the red is only used on the windows) to tie everything together. While this house has undergone a couple of remodels and additions since 1872, we wanted things to look like they belong together. (We bought our premium exterior paint from Sherwin Williams if you ever wanted to look up the colors.)

The new sidewalk entrance to the porch is fantastic. We picked a burgundy square pot and set it in the middle of the stone-stamped circle/medallion in the middle of the path. It really came out nice. And, we added pots all around with annuals in them - to complement the other flower beds.
It is great to be able to go out and sit on the patio over the porch and watch the sunsets in the west. A great view over the trees and out toward Petersboro from here. Oh, you can see the big grey rock in the burm (on the right) - that was here by the west side in the flower garden. I assume that it's been in there for a very long time. A really neat looking rock. We added some solar lights throughout - including some spotlights that shine up on the house and into the tree for an awesome night effect. Things feel very comfortable hanging out in the yard - and enjoying the plants.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I know that my post are random. But I will as the house gets done do a before and after post of each room. To kind of make a little sense of the whole thing. This is my first attempted at blogging and I'm sure I'm a better body man the a blogger.

Thanks for Checking out Estelle
More pictures of the master bedroom.
With its nice salmon colored paint and
all the holes from the nails that were in the paneling we removed

The new windows before the trim

Lots of hole and cracks

The Plaster in Estelle was very coarse and had lots of nail hole in it. So to even it out we added a light texture to the walls. We call this Holey Smooth it looks kind of like an old mission wall

Patching the walls and ceilings

Walls primed ready for paint.
We are going to paint the walls
Lazy Gray (Blue Gray)
Trim Greek Villa

In the seventies the wide baseboards and window trim
were removed and replaced with trim from that era.
As well as adding aluminum windows and lowering
the ceilings and paneling the wall. We removed the paneling
and raised the ceilings a back to the 10.5 foot level and
added more fitting windows and lights. The trim and baseboards
are not exact but is as close as we could match without breaking the bank

The door are not original and will be replaced

We really like this light it matches
the house well.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Estelle has had some up grading done on the electical over the years. But most rooms only had one or two plug per room because of the brick wall. Each added plug had to be drilled and cut into the solid brick walls. Plugs on 12' centers were added to each room of the house making living in this old house a whole lot easier.

The template

Hammer drilling and cutting with a diamond blade
to make a hole for the new plug box.
The hole before the wire channel was cut.

Adding plugs to the solid brick walls
Using a hammer drill to make the hole for the box

Box opening and wire channel

Adding the wire and fastening boxs in the wallThe finished plug ready for plaster

Monday, February 8, 2010